Sound Manager: $ampCmd doesn't work with $waveTableSynth ?

For all you sound wizzards:

I'm playing sounds from MCL using System 7.0's Sound Manager and I've
found the $ampCmd has no affect on sounds the $waveTableSynth plays.
It *does* work with the $squareWaveSynth. Inside Mac Volume IV says
the $ampCmd works with all synths and mentions no limitations. But
SpInsideMac's (outdated) Sound Manager chapter says $ampCmd doesn't
work with $waveTableSynth. Does anyone know what the official line is?
Has anyone been able to get the $ampCmd working with the wave table
synth? Now I use #_SetSoundVol, which is a kludge.

Thanks!

matt