How can I get fred to scroll?

I am doing a first cut at a Telnet terminal, which works OK except that as
incoming text is sent to my fred window, the display doesn't scroll to show
the insertion point.  The following routine is called as each character is
received:

(defun append-char (window char)
  (ed-end-of-buffer window)             ; always put characters at the end
  (ed-insert-char window char)          ; add the character
  (fred-update window))                 ; I don't really call this every
char,
                                        ; but it does get called
Derek White      	      (-ex Mr. Pascal)
ATG/East        	       derek@cambrige.apple.com or DEREK on AppleLink