window-hardcopy incompatibility

Further experimentation with the window-hardcopy code I posted shows that views
using any MCL pre-defined dialog-items (I'm 0 for 4 so far) will print a blank
page.
While this does make the code useless for most people, I am working on it.
Anyone have any idea what the class dialog-item does when printing?
Does it focus the view in its before method?  [Wild guess.]

Does a view draw itself in a radically different manner when it has sub-views?