bundles and invisibles

I have an application in which several files comprise one dataset.  I'd
really like to convince Finder to present all these files as one.  i.e.
I'd like to be able to set bits somewhere so that those files are invisible
and have a dummy file that is visible that the user can manipulate.
Ideally, the dummy file would display a size equal to the sum of all the
other files.  I was able to find the invisible bit in IM I-IV, but don't
know where to look for the rest.  Any help greatly appreciated!
"TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@ils.nwu.edu