macro arglists, clarification

In my earlier question about getting arglists for macros in the
message window, I may have misled people a bit by unfortunate choice
of examples.  The WHEN macro does work correctly.  Here is the scenario
I'm wondering about:

  (defun foo1 (x y) ...)
  (foo1<space>            ;;; yields "x y" in the message line

  (defmacro foo2 (x y) ...)
  (foo2<space>            ;;; yields "??" in the message line.

System macros like WHEN seem to work okay.  Sorry for the confusion.

My question is directed toward the asymmetry between user-defined functions
and macros exhibited above.  Are there separate environment variables for
recording arglists for functions and macros?

-- Bob