MCL color graphics

I need better support for (color) graphics in MCL. Window-objects are OK
for basic use but such a nice environment like MCL should include
high-level support for:

1) bitmap-windows (with off-screen bitmaps)
2) palette manager (say any 256 colors or gray levels)

Is there anything coming from Apple? (Soon?) Does anyone have simple yet
robust solutions written for this? (What about Common Windows, CLIM, etc.?)

(I am new to info-macl so this might already have been discussed)

Matti Karjalainen