classic II adequate for mcl?

Having received a number of helpful replies to my posting

  `where does mcl fit in'

I'm now eager to purchase a Mac to learn mcl.  I'd like to buy
the cheapest possible model, and I'd like it to be adequate for
about two years of use for serious home study and small-scale development.

I can buy a Classic II (68030 at 16 Mhz) for about $1200.  I can add ram
to get a total of 10 MB.  Color and a large screen are not essential.
Would I be foolish to buy the Classic II?  If so, what is the cheapest
adequate machine?

 - Paul Shannon
   pts@Virginia.EDU