word wrap in a Fred buffer

Hi to all...

I'm trying to write a string (namely, an assignment for a student to
solve) to a fred buffer, complete with various formatting (e.g.,
function name is bolded).  However, I would like to have the buffer
word-wrap -- not character wrap, as happens with wrap turned on in the
buffer.

Is there an easy way to do this?  I tried (half-heartedly) to look at
XP.  Basically, I am trying to avoid writing code to add how wide the
characters are and see if the sum is greater than the width of the
window.

I'd really appreciate any help offered!

Douglas Merrill
Cognitive Science Lab