destructing objects

Lispers,
	Here is my first question for this list, mind my ignorance!  I
have just started tooling around with MCL 2.0xxx and more specifically
CLOS.  Is there a way to destruct a object instanciated by
(make-instance)?

	My conceptualization of how memory is managed in lisp is not
the greatest.  If I set bind some symbol to some value (set a 3) then
say (setf a 4) what happens to the memory allocated for the 3?  Is it
overwritten or at garbace collection time is ir reclaimed?

Any information on literature regarding CLOS ould also be very helpful
to me.  I take that back any literature or source code at a learning
level would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
John Louch
jlouch@apple.com