Re: force-output vs. serial streams

>FORCE-OUTPUT and its likenesses are not defined for serial streams (using
>"serial-streams.lisp").  Is it okay for me to create a null method for
>this?  Is there a specific reason it was not defined?

Sounds like an oversight. Creating a null method would be fine.
The proper fix is probably to change the class definition so that
a serial-stream inherits the output-stream method for stream-force-ouput
which does nothing:

(defclass serial-stream (driver input-stream output-stream)
  ((serial-unread-char :initform nil))
  (:default-initargs :driver-buffer-size 4))

I say "probably" because I haven't tested this.