patching into the standard get file dialog...

Is there a way to patch into the standard get file or save as dialogs? I
would like to add a button for selecting the current directory (without
selecting a file within that directory. I would also like to do some sort
of save as dialog that allows me to append to existing files (ie., for
adding new mail messages to an existing file). The reason I don;t want to
do my own dialog is so that extensions like SuperBoomerang will show up.
Thanks in advance for any help.

|Curt Stevens   (303) 492-1218 | / |arpa:stevens@sigi.cs.colorado.edu  |
|Univ. of Colorado, Boulder    |o o|uucp:ncar!sigi.cs.colordo.edu!{...}|
|Campus Box 430                |\_/| I contradict myself? Very well, I |
|Boulder, Colorado 80309  USA  |   | contradict myself. - Walt Whitman |