saEmacs...

>Date: Thu, 2 Jul 92 14:50:52 PDT
>From: mmeehan@eesof.com (Mike Meehan)
>To: info-mcl@cambridge.apple.com
>Subject: saEmacs...
>

>Anyone know of a *stand-alone* Emacs editor for the mac?
>
>The GNU folks seem to be involved in politics and, well, dont think too
>much of apple. (Isnt that kinda like boycotting the Olympics?)

As I understand it, nobody has ever forbidden a gnuemacs
on Macintosh. It's just that RMS won't personally put any effort
into it.  Should such a port magically appear, I'm sure it would
become freely available along with the rest of the GNU distribution.

There is a fairly good standalone editor for the Mac called Alpha,
available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu:/info-mac/app/alpha-403.hqx.

It has many emacs-like features, including emacs-like keybindings,
but it's not exactly the same thing.