Re: MCL 2.0b1 vs. 1.3.2?

INTRODUCTION

I posted a request for info about MCL 2.0b1 vs. MCL 1.3.2 for a Quadra
700 on 22 June 1992.  Many people have responded on the net, and via
email.  You've seen what's on the net, so I won't repeat it here.
However, I've summarized the information I've received via email in the
following section.  My apologies for excluding individual attributions.

SUMMARY

The consensus is that MCL 2.0b1p3 is a remarkably bug-free product that
is much better than MCL 1.3.2, and thus a better buy.  Changes from MCL
2.0b1 to MCL 2.0 final include:

   o Ephemeral garbage collector.

   o Complete CLOS implementation as documented in CLtL2 plus part of
     the introspective MOP.

   o Complete CLtL2 compatibility including integrated pretty printer.

   o Immediate (non-consing) short floats.

   o Read only files respected.

   o System 7.0 support: Balloon Help, Aliases, AppleEvents.

   o Interface to ToolServer (to drive MPW tools via AppleEvents).

   o New hash table implementation with improved locality, and better
     garbage collection interaction.

   o Greatly improved reference manual.

   o Improved and more complete Macintsoh Toolbox interfaces.

   o An example application with no Listener.

   o CD-ROM including: User contributed code, Info-mcl mailing list
     archive, MCL Reference online in DocViewer format, and lots more.

MCL 2.0b1 is especially attractive since a free upgrade to the final
MCL 2.0 is included with each purchase of the beta version.  MCL 2.0
final is due to hit the street "sometime soon," perhaps even during the
summer.  Earlier versions of MCL 2.0b1 can be updated with patches
available via ftp at cambridge.appl.com which bring it up to MCL
2.0b1p3.

The one *major* drawback is that MCL 2.0b1p3 will not work with the
68040 instruction cache, so the cache has to be turned off for the
Quadra.  However, on some Quadras (including mine), the cache is
permanently enabled, so you'll have to wait for MCL 2.0 final which
will work with the cache.  If you don't want to wait for 2.0 final,
you'll need to get a copy of a cache switch for the Quadra.  Bill St.
Clair at Bill@cambridge.apple.com apparently has patches that will get
around this (I did not confirm this with him).  There is also a patch
called Animals, available from the following dealer (I didn't check
with them either):

   Impulse Technologies                  Telephone: (404)889-8294
   210 Dahlonega St., Suite 205                Fax: (404)781-8738
   Cumming, GA  30130                    AppleLink: IIR

MCL is available only from APDA.  The current catalogs list its price
as $495.  MCL 2.0 will ship early this summer.  APDA will send an MCL
2.0 update (including software on 800K disks, a CD-ROM, and printed
documentation) to everyone who purchased MCL 2.0b1 or the MCL 2.0b1
update.  If your mailing address changed since you ordered MCL 2.0b1,
send mail to APDA at APDA@applelink.apple.com.

THANKS

Many thanks to the following people who have contributed in one way or
another to my search for info on MCL 2.0b1 (in no particular order):

Who                       Where
---                       -----
Han                       devries@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl
Bill St. Clair            bill@cambridge.apple.com
Steven Dobbs              sdobbs@trivia.coginst.uwf.edu
Phil Chu                  pchu@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov
?                         zilla@ccrl.nj.nec.com
?                         habboub%soleil.iarc.mco.edu@opus.iarc.mco.edu
Howard                    UK0392@AppleLink.Apple.COM
Rainer Joswig             joswig@informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Jeffrey                   jbk@world.std.com
George Williams           george@hsvaic.boeing.com
Charlie S. Lindahl        lindahl@cse.uta.edu
Harvey Alcabes            ALCABES@AppleLink.Apple.COM

Regards,

Jeff H...

 Jeffrey A. Heimberger                               The MITRE Corporation
  Internet: heimberg@mitre.org                           Mail Stop Z676
 Telephone: (703) 883-5250                            7525 Colshire Drive
 Facsimile: (703) 883-6991 or 5519                   McLean, VA 22102-3481