compilations in eval

I ran a few benchmarks based on my actual code and discovered
that if the eval'd form is simply a function call or a macro
that does nothing more than call a function, then eval-compiler
apparently sees it as "easy" - the function and macro were
also already compiled.  So the setting of *compile-definitions*
didn't matter.

It would be good to have more information relating to aspects
of MCL that affect performance.  Is this in the 2.0 final
manual? E.g. why is there a lot of disc activity and temporary
files created when I run a big hunk of code - does MCL do its
own VM-like overlays? I know it loads functions as needed, but why
create a temporary file?