Passing arrays to C

Hi,

We are trying to port a bunch of code to MCL.  The
code relies heavily on C routines to crunch numbers
in multi-dimensional arrays.  We are trying to figure
out how to pass such arrays to C.  Ideally, the
C routine would just receive a pointer to the data
and separately the dimensions of the array.

  a) Is there any documentation on the exact structures
  used to store multidimensional arrays in Lisp?  (The
  documentation is pretty vague on this point.)

  b) Is there any good (or bad) way to get a pointer
  to the actual array data and hand that off to C?

Thanks,

David Brainard
Department of Psychology
University of California