bus error blues

This is not strictly Lisp related, except that I got MCL and a Quadra so that
I could do some long compute-intensive runs using a friendly development
environment.  Problem is my Q700 crashes out with a "bus error" often
enough to be a problem; I lost a couple of hours of running because of
this problem just now.  What little I know about bus errors is that
they could have many possible causes.  Can anybody suggest how to approach
this tracking this down?  Has any history accumulated on this sort of thing?
(I've unplugged my external SCSI cable from the machine on the basis of
one suggestion - it might help, but then again the above mentioned crash
happened since then).

Thanks!