Re: contents of clim-library as of 92/09/09

In article <19920915103724.6.KEUNEN@nrbmi1.ia.nrb.be> nrb!keunen@relay.EU.net (Vincent Keunen) writes:

       Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1992 17:12+0200
       From: Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

	   Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1992 02:09 EDT
	   From: "John C. Mallery" <jcma@reagan.ai.mit.edu>

	   How come there is almost nothing in the library?

       I would also like to know the answers to these questions...  In my
       opinion, a major reason for the success of X Windows is the sheer extent
       of the stuff publicly available for X Windows.  I don't think CLIM can
       be successful without a similar effort.  Of course, CLIM itself may be
       too immature or limited to support such an effort.  I don't know, but I
       would like to.

   I am personnaly afraid of the future of CLIM.  I would *love* it to
   become *soon* the agreed upon standard.  I mean agreed upon by lisp
   PROGRAMMERS, not lisp providers.

I believe it is used by programmers, but the stuff they make may not
be that easy to share, e.g. like a neat apropos dialog. I'm
considering putting a small text editor in the CLIM library, having
put some effort into making it standalone, i.e. separate it from the
real application I'm writing. If an application is complex, it may be
difficult to do this.

I'm not sure yet, whether I'm allowed to share the code. This may be a
general problem for big (externally funded) projects, where the power
of CLIM is needed.

Another point is that I use CLIM mostly for portability, and I would
guess using MCL specific stuff is more attractive to programmers who
don't have the portablitiy requirement.

--
Hallvard Traetteberg
Dept. of Knowledge Based Systems