help balloons for objects

I have a window that contains several objects. The objects are all drawn by the
window's view-draw-contents function; they are *not* subviews. I would like
to have a separate help balloon for each object, which appears when the mouse
is over that object (similar to how it works for subviews). How can I trick
the code in help-manager.lisp into thinking that each object is a subview?

Incidentally, the reason why the objects are not implemented as subviews is
that they have irregular borders.