Need help launching application in MCL (from a data file)

I'm trying to write some code that will take a pathname for an arbitrary
file and launch the application that created the file.  I've managed to
launch an application explicitly, but can't figure out how to get the
mapping from the CREATOR of the file to the application (which the
finder seems to do internally).

The inside-mac documentation here has been no help... it seems to happen
magically somewhere between the finder and the process manager...

Any help would be appreciated, and reply to me because I'm not on the
mailing list...

Thanks,

David