Re: Views and keystrokes

At 10:10 AM 12/28/92 -0500, Jeffrey B Kane wrote:
>I've been attempting to implement my own key handlers for a new kind of
>view with very little success.  These are not Fred windows or dialog
>items so the limited documentation does not seem to apply.
>
>I defined a window class and view class that is contained in within the
>window.  The view (or one of it's subviews) is to handle key strokes in
>a specialized manner.
>
>I saw in the "windoids-key-events.lisp (MCL:examples)" file that you have
>to define an (undocumented)
>
>(defmethod accept-key-events ((self special-view)) t)
>
>so that MCL knows your window wants key strokes.

The accept-key-events method is necessary only for windoids that
want to handle key events. Normally, a windoid doesn't get a chance
to handle key events; they are sent to (front-window).

> The key-mixin documentation
>is a bit confusing, but seems to apply only to fred-dialog-items.  The
>"add-key-handler" method seems to only deal with dialog items, not views in
>general.  Any insights (so I can get on with this project) are VERY much appreciated!

The only problem is that you need to define a dialog-item-enabled-p
method for your key handler class. This problem will be fixed by patch
2 for MCL (which is just about to enter its beta test period). Your view
also needs to inherit from key-handler-mixin.
Here's a version of your code that works for me:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; A simple color window
;;
(defclass special-window (window)  ; should NOT inherit from key-handler-mixin
  (default-initarg
    :color-p t))

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; A simple view
;;
(defclass special-view (key-handler-mixin view)
  nil)

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; This is necessary for key-handler-mixin.
;; patch 2 (which has not yet been released) will make this unnecessary.
(defmethod dialog-item-enabled-p ((item special-view))
  t)

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; define a method to beep when the user types a key
;;
(defmethod view-key-event-handler ((self special-view) char)
  "just beep if the user types a key"
  (declare (ignore char))
  (ed-beep)
  (ed-beep))

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; just to let us know our view exists
;;
(require "QUICKDRAW")

(defmethod view-draw-contents ((self special-view))
  ;frame and color the rect
  (rlet ((r :rect
            :topleft #@(0 0)
            :bottomright (view-size self)))
    (with-fore-color *yellow-color*
      (paint-rect self r))
    (with-pen-saved
      (set-pen-size self 2 2)
      (frame-rect self r)
      (move-to self (rref r :rect.topleft))
      (line-to self (rref r :rect.bottomright))
      (move-to self 0 (rref r :rect.right))
      (line-to self (rref r :rect.bottom) 0))))

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; create the window and it's contained view
;;
(defvar temp-wind nil)
(defvar temp-view nil)
(setf temp-wind