Setting dialog item body color

How can one set the body color of a check-box or radio-button dialog item?
(For example, if you want it to look reasonable in a dialog with a
background color.)

(set-part-color <item> :body <new-color>) or initializing with the
equivalent part-color-list has no effect in this case; no matter what you
do, the item keeps a white body color.

I poked around a bit around with ccl::set-control-part-color and
ccl::table-color. It appears that the control color-table is being set
properly, but this doesn't affect the way check-boxes and radio-buttons are
drawn. (Things work just fine in setting text and frame colors.) IM V has a
nice color plate that shows radio buttons and check-boxes with body colors
that match a dialog's background, so it ought to be possible.

What gives? Is there a way to do this? (I've worked out an awfullly kludgy
work-around involving a view-draw-contents that paints the dialog-item and
then calls #_TrackControl to redo the text and frame, but this is only
partially effective for radio-buttons, and there _must_ be a better way.)

[Note: This question was asked in this forum last summer by someone else.
I've searched the mail archives and checked with the original questioner -
it seems never to have been answered.]

John Gersh                                      John_Gersh@jhuapl.edu
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20723		       (301) 953-5503