translate-logical-pathname question

I want to run a bunch of filenames (strings) through
translate-logical-pathname and expand any that have a logical
component.  That works fine for things like
"ccl:foo"
but strings that I think are physical pathnames like
"hd:foo"
generate an error.  Is there any way of getting
translate-logical-pathname to just pass hd:foo as it is without
generating an error?  If not is there a way of indentifying "hd:foo"
as a physical pathname?
-thanks, david

p.s. The manual mentions using option-d to quote a character in a
string for a pathname.  I couldn't get option-d to do that (it kills a
region of text instead).  Is this a bug in the manual or am I doing
something wrong?
--
neves@ils.nwu.edu
Institute for the Learning Sciences, 1890 Maple, Evanston Il 60201