Menu question

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all of their previous help.

THANKS!

Now, I was wondering about the window-mwnu-items.  In the MCL manual, it
states that the file menu item "Save" is enabled whenever the frontmost
window has a window-save method defined for it, and a subsidiary function
window-needs-saving-p returns true.  What I wanted to know is how is
window-needs-saving-p called.  How do you tell MCL to check that function
as well as chacking for the window-save method?  Do you use the
menu-item-update procedure, or is there something else?

Thanks again.