acl and mcl

 >To: info-mcl@ministry.cambridge.apple.com
 >Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp.mcl
 >From: yjun@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Youngcook Jun)
 >Subject: acl and mcl
 >Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 21:40:00 GMT
 >Sender: usenet@ux3.cso.uiuc.edu (Net Noise owner)
 >
 >Can anybody tell me what is the difference between allegro CL and
 >mac CL? Are both of them in public domain? If yes, how can I get them
 >and find the manual?
 >
 >Thanks in advance.
 >
 >Youngcook Jun
 >--
 >
 >Youngcook Jun
 >Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction
 >Univ. of Illnois at Urbana-Champaign

Allegro CL is a commercial product from Franz, Inc.

MCL is a commercial product from Apple. At one point it
had "allegro" in its name, but this is no longer true.

AKCL (Austin Kyoto Common Lisp) is free, but not public domain.

For more info about these and many other lisp implementations,
please check out the LISP FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) document:

------excerpt from LISP FAQ------

The latest version of this file is available via anonymous FTP from CMU
and Thinking Machines:

   To obtain the files from CMU, connect by anonymous ftp to any CMU CS
   machine (e.g., ftp.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.206.173]), using username
   "anonymous" and password "name@host". The files lisp-faq-1.text,
   lisp-faq-2.text, lisp-faq-3.text, lisp-faq-4.text, lisp-faq-5.text,
   lisp-faq-6.text and lisp-faq-7.text are located in the directory
       /afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/mkant/Public/Lisp-Utilities/
   [Note: You must cd to this directory in one atomic operation, as
   some of the superior directories on the path are protected from
   access by anonymous ftp.] If your site runs the Andrew File System,
   you can just cp the files directly without bothering with FTP.

   To obtain the files from Thinking Machines, ftp them from ftp.think.com,
   in the directory /public/think/lisp/. The file faq.text contains all the
   parts of the FAQ in one file. In addition, specific versions of the FAQ
   are available as faq-<version>.text.

The FAQ postings are also archived in the periodic posting archive on
rtfm.mit.edu [18.70.0.224]. Look in the anonymous ftp directory
/pub/usenet/news.answers/ in the subdirectory lisp-faq/. If you do not
have anonymous ftp access, you can access the archive by mail server
as well.  Send an E-mail message to mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu
with "help" and "index" in the body on separate lines for more
information.