Error Handling during rlet

I have a small function that attempts to create a temporary record of 134 bytes
via an rlet.  If the function fails (with a "memory allocation request failed"
error message) I'd like to perform a cleanup action that could free some RAM
and then try the rlet again -- my question is, what is that cleanup action?
Will a call to GC clear memory for this purpose?  In this particular case the
function is being called while handling an Apple Event so I'd like to handle
the error within the same event cycle, if possible.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated!

Dan