Problems with the serial port from MCL

Hi -

I'm trying to use the serial port drivers in examples/serial-streams.lisp,
but I get a lot of information loss, apparently from buffer overflow.
I found the place where the serial stream gets defined with the initial
value of :driver-buffer-size set to 4, and reset it to 4000.  This helped
a lot, but it still looks like the buffer is in fact about 54 characters
large.  From most applications other than MCL, you can get about
5-6 K/s across the serial port without any trouble.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have a fix?  Am I just
doing something amazingly stupid?

Thanks very much --

Joanna