Re: Call for Hacks: Windoid with visible title

At  6:48 PM 1/15/94 -0700, Alex Repenning wrote:
>Some applications, such as Canvas, have windoids WITH titles. While this
>may seem a bit strange it can actually quite a desirable thing to have. In
>the current implementation of MCL's windoids the title gets stored and can
>be accessed but it has no visible manifestation. I rather not write a WDEF
>or whatever to change this. Has anybody hacked up something in Lisp to have
>visible titles in windoids? Any pointers are welcome.
>
>The challenge, on one hand, consists of writing text to a region that is
>not part of the window focus and, on the other hand, of the problem that
>WINDOW-UPDATE-EVENT-HANDLER does not get called if only the title bar needs
>updating.

Drawing in the title bar is the responsibility of the WDEF. If you
are running MCL 2.0p2 or MCL 2.0.1, the :WINDOW-TYPE keyword works
for windoids, allowing you to create a windoid with the normal
WDEF. This type of windoid is not visually distinguished from normal
document windows; to do that you need to write a WDEF. But it will
remain in front just like a windoid with the small title-free WDEF:

(make-instance 'windoid :window-type :document)