Subdirectory pathnames?

What is the minimum typing that I have to do to load a file from a subdirectory
of my home directory?  I have a subdirectory "ps-tests:", which is a subdir of
the directory from which I started lisp.  If I try (load "ps-tests:test1"),
I am told that the file does not exist.  But if I type out the entire
pathname, (load "Macintosh HD:Andy:Garnet:ps-tests:test1"), then it works.
Even (load "home:ps-tests:test1") does not work.

Do I have to do a def-logical-directory?  This sounds like more work than
it ought to be for such a simple procedure.

--Andrew Mickish