Re: MCL applications

At  3:00 PM 5/11/94 +0000, Noel Rappin wrote:
>Okay, somebody saved an MCL application on the Mac I work on and now
>trying to launch any MCL file from the finder launches the application
>and not MCL.
>
>The oou documents say that you can use ResEdit to change the signature
>of the offending application, but this didn't work for me -- what was
>I doing wrong?  Is this the signature in the BNDL resourse or the
>creator listing in the Get Info dialog?

Change the "Creator" field in ResEdit's "Get Info" dialog. A good
value to use is "????". Alternatively, use MCL's set-mac-file-creator
function: (set-mac-file-creator "hd:...:the-app" "????").

It is possible that you will also need to rebuild the desktop, which
you can do by holding down both the option and command keys while
starting or restarting your Macintosh, then clicking on the "Yes"
button in the resulting dialog.

>Also, how can you launch a finder document from MCL

I don't know.

One would think it would be as simple as sending an 'ODOC' event,
but I've heard that it isn't, that it's difficult to get right, and
that the Finder crashes if you get it wrong. This is just a rumour,
however.

Just to be sure, I tried sending an 'ODOC' event to the Finder.
It ignored it.