File sharing and locking

Can anyone tell me how to go about locking a file so that I can manage
several concurrent users accessing the same file?

We have a number of data files that people read. Typically they load them
into our application and then at some later stage, save the changes. I want
to be able to "lock" these files for the duration of the user's session so
that I can manage problems between two people trying to save the same file.

So, I'm interested in locking it so that others can still read but not
write, and locking so that others can't even read it.

I know there are some finder parameters that handle locking and busy, but
I'm not sure which to use and how to do it from MCL.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Denis