Playing sounds from MCL

I'm looking for an MCL interface to the sound generator
for my powerbook.  I have John Montbriand's 1993 PlaySound.lisp
code,which is short and sweet and provides just the interface
I want...triples of (freq, duration, volume).  Problem is this
code produces scratchy and interrupted results and I know the
Mac is capable of prettier results.  Is there an improvement
that, say, produces nice sine-waves?  All help or pointers
appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris Brown                INTERNET: brown@cs.rochester.edu
Dept. of Computer Science  http://www.cs.rochester.edu/users/faculty/brown/
University of Rochester    VOX:  (716) 275-7852
Rochester  NY  14627-0226  FAX:  (716) 461-2018