Q: Why is my PICT growing?

Can someone tell me what is causing this:

I open a pict in a window, then I move that window from the foreground to
the background several times (but I do no explicit drawing).  When I get
the PICT, its size is dependent on how many times I exposed the window.
What are the drawing commands that are being added to the pict, and is
there some way to supress them?

I tried subclassing window and turning all the likely candidates methods
into no-ops (i.e.  view-draw-contents, invalidate-region, etc.), but that
did not help.

--Thanks.