Sequence dialog items in windows with grow boxes

This is a question that I have had for a long time.

Let's say that I have a window with grow box, and inside it I put a
single view, a table dialog item that fills the entire
window.  If the table dialog item has both h and v scroll
bars, the bars will not cover the grow box.

However, if the table dialog has only one scroll bar, one
of its arrow buttons will cover the grow box.

The question is, how can I get the scroll bar to be 15 pixels
shorter so it doesn't obscure the grow box?

--Matthew Haines