how to get current selected text

I don'tt think this question is specific to Lisp, but I know there are many
mac wizards around here.

How can I get the current selected text of the current application and send
it (with ae) to a background appl?

Other related questions : how can I get the text content of the front
window of any application ? Is it possible to get to text pointed (but not
clicked) by the mouse in any application (finder included) and send it to a
background appl?

Any pointers would be very appreciated.

Btw: my bck appl is written in lisp, but the front appl is any std appl
(finder, msword, excel, etc.)

---
Lafourcade Mathieu
GETA (Groupe d'Etude pour la Traduction Automatique)
IMAG (Institut de Mathematiques Appliquees de Grenoble)
BP 53 38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX 9, FRANCE
Tel : (33) 76 51 43 80          Fax : (33) 76 51 44 05

mathieu.lafourcade@imag.fr