structures vs. instances

Which one takes up less memory per instance, a class instance or a structure
with the same information?

I've defined a struct called pnt (gives the same functionality as the lisp
type point, but allows floats for the h and v) and I've been allocating
a bunch of them. In the course of allocating a few thousand of these,
my free memory ((ccl::%freebytes)) has dropped from 7 megs to 161K.
Are structures garbage-collected? Almost all of these structures should have
been garbage collected along time ago.

Andrew Begel
MIT Media Lab
Epistemology and Learning