(require :lapmacros) in Edit callers ?

We now often use the wonderful code of edit-callers in the mcl 2.01
examples to decide whether a function is really called or not in or
program.

However loading even a precompiled edit-callers seems to need about 160K
of lisp space. This seems to stem from the (require :lapmacros) in the
form

  (require :lapmacros))

Is it really necessary to do a (require :lapmacros) when you load a
precompiled edit-callers.fasl ? I never really got the point with
eval-when, but can't I drop some of the conditions to save some space?

any hints welcome

Karsten