Re: TCP problems only on *some* macintoshes...?

At  7:06 AM 10/3/94 -0500, you wrote:
>There is a problem with MacTCP.lisp on newer machines which I haven't
>fully investigated, but for which the workaround is to turn off the ASYNC
>bit in the #_Control trap in the TCP-CONTROL function.  In my case a IIfx
>which simply inherited a newer ethernet board would intermittently hang
>or crash when using TCP from MCL (but not from other applications). See
>if this helps.  Let me know if it does, I'll try to push up the priority of
>investigating what's really going wrong...

i looked in my copy of MacTCP.lisp, and only found two instance of the
#_Control trap being called (in %tcp-control and tcp-active-open). since
the one in %tcp-control was the only one that mentioned async, i changed
the following line in that function:

          (when (eql (setq err (#_control :async pb)) 0)

to:

          (when (eql (setq err (#_control pb)) 0)

is that what you meant?

so i made a new version of our application with this change, and have sent
it off to the two people having this problem, and i'll soon know whether
this fixes our problem, or not. thanks a ton!

>>ps - how can i get a list of all of those patches that bill st. clair
>>(that's the guy, right?) keeps talking about, and then how do i get these
>>patches?
>
>Well, there's a set of patches that was a candidate for being released, but
>I discovered that the MCL system wouldn't correctly compile itself with
>all the patches loaded and haven't yet had the time to identify and either
>withdraw or fix the culprit(s).  When I do, we'll release that set.
>
>Since that set was put together, of course, both Bill and I have been
>accumulating more patches as bugs get reported and fixed.  Unfortunately,
>creating a patch to fix a single case that a customer reported is different
>from ensuring that it works in all possible cases and therefore is worthy of
>widespread release (as the experience with the last set which we THOUGHT
>was ready for release shows), so I'm hesitant to publicize the list.
>
>However, if you have a bug that's bothering you (or even suspect a possible
> bug in some area), by all means send mail asking about it.

actually, i wasn't talking about the above problem at all. on various
occasions, i've seen bill say something about 'send mail and ask for the
make-lisp-faster patch' and i was just curious about that. i wanted to get
a list of those patches (and short descriptions of each) and to find out
how to get this information. is there a listserv? i looked at the cambridge
ftp site, but didn't find much, and i'm pretty sure that i've seen bill
announce more fixes than were available there. sorry i wasn't too clear...

thanks again! i'll let you know if your fix solves our problems!

-joey