Req. help on dialog-item prototyping

Hi everybody,

I started developing a simple interface using dialogs
and got stuck with two problems, namely:
a)  I want to have an item in a dialog box to read
    user's input.  I used the editable-text-dialog-item
    command, which lets me input text.  Is there a way
    to assign such input to a variable or a structure
    so that I can make use of the input later on within
    the program.
b)  What action should I put in a button-dialog-item, for
    instance a "done" or an "OK" button, so that the window
    in which the button is contained gets closed?

Any suggestions on how to solve this problems will be
appreciated... a lot!

Thanks,

Al Maeda