Re: Variable ignored warning in defsetf?

In article <199501311518.HAA06636@digitool.com>,
Bob Hall <hall@research.att.com> wrote:
>   Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 09:47:02 -0500
>   From: e@flavors.com (Doug Currie, Flavors Technology, Inc.)

>   try:   (declare (ignore-if-unused contained?))

>   See MCL Ref p. 643

>This may then cause the other Lisps to barf, being a nonstandard declaration.
>Some Lisps have an IGNORABLE declaration, some have IGNORE-IF-UNUSED, etc.

For those Lisps you can simply add at top level:

 #-MCL
 (declaim (declaration ignore-if-unused))

This tells other Lisp implementations that IGNORE-IF-UNUSED is a
non-standard declaration, so they can safely ignore it.  See CLtL2
pp. 231-232.

In general, it's hard to tell which parameters in a defining macro
(e.g. DEFSETF, DEFMETHOD) are unused in the "overhead" code generated
by a particular implementation of the defining macro itself.  I've run
across similar examples in different dialects.  It would be nice if
they were consistent across all implementations, but that may be
asking too much.

 -- Chuck
--
 Chuck Fry  Work: chucko@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov  Play: chucko@rahul.net
	I alone am responsible for the contents of this post.