question about double-clicks

I know that there is a function to detect if a click was the second
click of a double click, but for the life of me, I could never figure out
how to tell if a click was the _first_ click of a double click?

How can I tell a single click apart from a double click if both types of
clicks should have distinct behaviors? Should I just do the first operation?
If another click comes in, will my operation stop (it's running during
event handling time too) and process the second click?

Help.

Thanks,

Andrew Begel
Epistemology and Learning