Re: A Dylan implemented on Common Lisp

In article <199503111711.MAA14496@digitool.com> Christopher.Young@ISL1.RI.CMU.EDU writes:
>>Fortunately, there are alternatives for those who like the
>>productivity and the parentheses but can't stand the size.
[...]

As far as I am concerned, the question of the size of a Lisp application
was relevent a few years ago, but certainly won't be relevent a few
years from now.

Quicken takes over 2400K, my Lisp applications are all smaller than that.
The entire quicken folder uses 3000K, Color It! (a graphic utility)
has 2500K in the folder. My Word folder is 6600K, Think C needs
over 10000K. I've seen games that need 4 of 5 meg.

If disk space was really such a big isues, then why are QuickTime
and HyperCard so popular? It seems to me that the complaints about
Lisp are based entirely upon evaluations made in the 1960s
and do not in any way reflect modern technology.

>Quite frankly, I believe it is quite possible to create a sophisticated
>run time app in MCL.

That's what we do in our lab.

-Chris Eliot
Umass/Amherst