Re: Lisp Machine considered paragon

At 20:20 3/14/95 +0000, Matt Emerson wrote:
>In article <3k30n9$nb@Yost.com>, Dave Yost <yost@Yost.com> wrote:
>>
>>I meant exhorting people to go and sit down at a Lisp Machine,
>>an act which is far too hard to accomplish.
>
>that's for sure.  i've read in many places how lisp machines are/were
>extraordinary, and i'd love to see one.  better yet, i'd like to see
>someone using one---a fancy interface is worthless if all it does is
>look good.

What was important about the lisp machine wasn't its interface which
by today's standards is rather old and clunky (I was reminded of this
by sitting down at a lisp machine yesterday), but its functionality.  And
to see all that functionality and when you need it, you need to see an
expert using one.   My analogy is that using a regular computer to using
a lisp machine is like going from a Casio keyboard to a Bösendorfer, you
won't see its real worth unless a virtuoso sits down at it (or you are
a virtuoso yourself ;->).