Getting stuff to HAPPEN while in an event handler

How does one get a function to execute while in an event handler, instead
of executing when the handler finishes?

I'd like to be able to add a pop-up menu from the view click event handler,
and allow the user to select from it, all in the same click/drag (not by
making the popup a subview, though).  Has anyone done this?  The way I see
it, menus do something similar (i.e. add some stuff to themselves as soon
as the user clicks, etc), but I haven't been able to find the  methods used
there.

Thanks for your advice,

Chris Crone
Institute for the Learning Sciences