Re: Lisp Machine considered paragon

In article <3k2j25$fom@larry.rice.edu>,
Shriram Krishnamurthi <shriram@asia.cs.rice.edu> wrote:
>yost@Yost.com (Dave Yost) writes:
>
>> Is there a good survey article on the web somewhere you can
>> point people to instead of making rhetorical exhortations?
>
>These aren't "rhetorical exhortations".  These are statements made
>from personal experience, from reading papers that have talked about
>these things, and from discussions with people who have spent many
>years working on such machines.

I meant exhorting people to go and sit down at a Lisp Machine,
an act which is far too hard to accomplish.

>> A book on the subject would be a very good thing.
>> It could be subtitled:
>
>>    "The UNIX Hater's Manual Companion: A Better Way"
>
>Guess what?  There's a book with almost this very title.  I haven't
>read it yet, but from the excerpts I've seen, it seems to very much be
>of this spirit.

The title I suggest is intentionally derivitave of

      "The UNIX Hater's Manual"

which is a great book, a great catharsis, a warning to present
and future system designers that a similar polemic fate awaits them.
My first impulse was

      "The UNIX Hater's Manual Answer Book"

Dave Yost
    @    .com