Re: Crash in GC during save-application

We finally tracked this down.  The cause of the problem was a fixnum-declared
variable that got too large and overflowed, causing damage to something or
other.  The short-term result was a negative integer where there should have
been a positive.  The long-term result was a crash during the save-application
GC, which also corrupted something in PRAM.

Macsbug, which we had previously found useful in diagnosing MCL crashes,
actually seemed to make this one worse.  With Macsbug, this problem would crash
the Mac.  Once we removed Macsbug, MCL would exit somewhat more gracefully with
an error of "Type 1".  This still didn't provide any direct information about
the bug, but it made continued experimentation a little easier.

Thanks to everyone for their sympathy and suggestions.  I hope this information
will prove useful to others.

Byron Davies
Motorola Semiconductor
R15546@email.mot.com