color icons

I am having trouble getting color icons (cicn resources) to appear.  I am
using the icon-dialog-item code (Apple, 1989) which works fine with black
and white icons (icon resources).

The loaded resources look like ok Mac Handles. I use the following to load
them (some other old Apple code):

   ;; black and white icons - NNN is the resource ID number
   (setf *tmp-icon* (#_getresource :ostype :icon :word NNN :ptr)
   (#_detachresource :ptr *tmp-icon*)
   ;; color icons
   (setf *tmp-cicn* (#_getresource :ostype "cicn" :word NNN :ptr)
   (#_detachresource :ptr *tmp-cicn*)

There does not seem to be an ostype :cicn, and no complaints appear with
"cicn" (I get a valid mac handle)

I set color-p to t for both the window and the dialog item, but the cicn's
plot as scrambled bits.

Could this icon-dialog-item code be too old (no longer valid with system
7.X)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Daniel