Re: Using emacs as editor for MCL?

; Hello.
;
; Is it possible to use emacs as editor instead of fred?
;
; Thanks
;
; Ulrich

I'd say: sure, I bet there's a number of ways to do it. (mind you,
FRED does stand for FRED Resembles Emacs Deliberately - I find it
close enough that when my fingers slip into emacs-mode I don't get
caught (unlike say, MS Word), and easy enough to program).

You couldn't use any of the Mac emacs ports from _within_ MCL, but you
could, say, redefine the ed function to use AppleEvents to launch an
emacs with the file you want (assuming that's supported. Last I
checked, the only Emacs port to the Mac was very crude).

Or, you could simply edit your files in your editor of choice and then
load them in MCL. Personally, I get along wonderfully with FRED.
Having an editor that's a closely integrated part of the environment
is a luxury I really enjoy (something the Mac C world would do well to
learn).

-Adam

--
Adam Alpern, Hampshire College