Self-indexing class?!

I have this wacky idea of implementing a dataset as a self-indexing class
to store tables of data that constitute the "beef" of my app.

Each instance has a "key" slot. The class has a shared slot for a
hash-table of class-instances. initialize-instance gets an after method
that adds any instance to the hash table.

1> Is this a dumb idea?

2> Would anyone know how much this would break Wood?

3> Uh, how do I get to the hash-table! (Without a dummy instance to go through.)
#'slot-value-using-class had my pulse pounding until I saw (a) MCL don't
support it and (b) AMOP does not say the obj arg can be nil, which is what
I would have to do.

Just looking for trouble...<g>