open document apple event for standalone

I am certain this has been covered previously but I was not able to dig it out
from the archives.

A standalone application (of its own creator) does not seem to respond  by
default to the "Open document" apple events (i.e. opening TEXT files and

I tried the following but it does not appear that the handler is evoked:

; (install-appleevent-handler :|aevt| :|odoc| #'open-documents-handler)

How does one restore the default behavior of opening/printing documents
of the same creator via the finder?

thanks,

-Nikos Troullinos
nikos@cri.com