Re: Does MCL 3.0 AppGen do everything 2.0 save-appl does?

At 3:46 PM 6/3/95, Robert Munyer wrote:
>Are there any parts of MCL 2.0 that can be used by an application
>created with (save-application ... :excise-compiler t), but that
>can't be used by one created with the MCL 3.0 Redistribution Kit?
>
>Or is 3.0 redistribution upward compatible with 2.0?

A correction to my earlier reply: with respect to the compiler, the
same functionality will be removed from redistributable images. But other
features of MCL, such as Listener windows, development tools like
the Apropos and Get Info dialogs, will not be available in distributable
applications created with MCL 3.0, as stated in the earlier product
announcements.  This is where the minimal 500K disk footprint savings comes
from and it also serves as Digitool's distinction between a distributable
application "created by MCL" and a Lisp Development System that "includes
all of MCL."

Please note that a Lisp Development System may still be distributed within
an organization that has an appropriate site license for MCL.  If you need
to distribute it to an end user outside such an organization (i.e. you want
them to have all the development and debugging tools), they must also
possess or purchase an MCL license.

- Steve Hain

Digitool, Inc.
                       One Main Street   7th Floor   Cambridge, MA 02142   USA
                              Internet: slh@digitool.com   AppleLink: digitool
                                      World Wide Web: http://www.digitool.com/
                                         Tel: 617 441-5000   Fax: 617 576-7680